FAA Unofficial Documents

hotairballoonist

FAA Unofficial Documents

John S. Duncan, Director, Flight Standards Service, AFS-1, has issued a memorandum to all flight standards employees indicating that any 'guidance' document (policy memo, e-mails from policy divisions, letters, interpretations) not incorporated into one of the official databases is cancelled effective January 15, 2014.

These documents have provided critical precedents in the past for issues such as Private pilot participation in balloon events

The BFA Board urges you to take action now! The deadline is December 31, 2013 to request your local FSDO to incorporate these essential letters.  Below is a suggested letter that has already been sent  by the Board to several FSDO offices and it includes the letters essential to balloon events.  Please contact your local FSDO ASAP.

I understand that Mr. John S. Duncan, Director, Flight Standards Service, AFS-1, has issued a memorandum regarding the cancellation of non-official guidance documents.  Since 1977, hot air balloon events operating under an approved waiver of 91.119 (B) and © have relied on various legal opinions regarding participation by private pilots and the subject of compensation for hire.

I have searched electronic libraries to determine if these documents are present.  I have not been able to find any reference to that guidance.  I respectively request that the following documents be incorporated into the necessary electronic libraries to provide for a consistent application and interpretation of this subject.

September 8, 1977: letter to Ms. Tucker Comstock from Neil R. Eisner, Acting Assistant Chief Counsel, Regulations and Enforcement Division, Office of Chief Counsel

October 8, 2010: letter to Mr. Mike Sommer from Rebecca B. MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel of Regulations, AGC-200

July 11, 2012: letter to Andrew Roberts from Rebecca B. MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations, AGC-200

December 7, 2012: letter to Gary Bruce Eaton from Rebecca B. MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel for International Law, Legislation and Regulations Division, AGC-200.

Thanks you for your consideration and assistance in this matter.

justletters.png

A Balloon Site built by Balloonists for

Balloonist's Become a Member Today

Jeff A Thompson.  Admin@HotAirBalloonist.com 407-421-9322

?
44 year LTA pilot, BFA member since 1977, BFA Level DA-8, Ed Yost Master Pilot. 6500 flights, 5650 Flight Hours