Teathering By Bob Scobee

CaptJeff

I believe I'm in that too many tether hours to count category. It is certainly well over a thousand hours and may be closer to a couple thousand than I care to think. I didn't used to differentiate them in my pilot log.  I know some people hate tethers, but I can tell you for certain that corporate sponsors love them, and doing what your client wants is rule number two in corporate ballooning. In the early ballooning days for me, about 30 some years ago, I did mostly static tethers, and was first taught to use a couple top tethers tied off from the upwind direction, fighting against the wind. It was a battle, but being the only thing I had seen done, it seemed to make sense - more like flying a kite than tethering a balloon though, and yes I sure hated doing them like that.  Then I started contracting for another commercial pilot, Jim Birk, and we went to do a tether and when he had me position our only extra tie off vehicle (first vehicle is always for the basket) in the downwind position I admit I was confused.  When the balloon was inflated and we tied it off so that the balloon went ahead and leaned over with the wind and was tied off to just stay there, it was a light bulb, mind blowing experience!  If I forgot to thank ya back then, thanks Jim, but I know he doesn't spend much time on the internet...

The next learning experience came with the currently discussed triple top tether system.  With a total of six ropes -  three going from the crown ring down to the bottom envelope attachments- carabiner, A block or whatever your system uses.  The other three going from a floating cababiner riding up and down on the first three ropes, to three tie down points.  The best tie down points are large vehicles that can be used to maneuver if conditions deteriorate and a rapid deflation becomes necessary.  When properly set up I don't believe there is any better system for doing tethers, especially lifting tethers giving rides.

Another really important key, that comes from doing a bunch of them, is to keep the envelope as tight as possible.  Putting as much weight as possible in the basket, without exceeding any manufacturers limitations, allows for as much heat as possible to be kept in the envelope.  This keeps the envelope tight and helps prevent the envelope from partially collapsing and "sailing".  Again remember about manufacturers limitations and it should be obvious that these are going to be hard, life limiting hours for the envelope. If I am using my own system this is exactly why I charge about triple for doing tethers than for doing flights.  For corporate programs this is just a given part of the system being used as a tool for obtaining the desired visibility sometimes desired.

So, what is rule number one?  In corporate ballooning, just like any other ballooning, it is obviously safety.  If your client doesn't agree, it is time to find another client.  PIC ALWAYS makes the final decisions.

Best, Bob Scobee

Fly Ohio Ballooning

FAA CRS IF5R933M

20724 Wolford Maskill Rd.

Marysville, OH 43040-8878

(937)642-9121

fax (937)642-9262

visit our website

www.flyohioballooning.com