Post IRMA (Sept 2017)

hotairballoonist

Well, we lived! 

Overall we were very fortunate .  Many were not and our hearts go out to all whom have suffered devastation, loss and heartache in their life from this storm.  We were affected and you can read all about our story here. http://hotairballoonist.com/forum/index.php?/index.html/equipment/post-irma-r49/

Once again we want to express our sympathy and prayers for those who have been severely affected by the hurricane.  We experienced it first hand and have heart felt and real respect for your trialing times.

New Banner Locations!

Do you have a club?  A Balloon Event? Even a product you want to promote.  We have new banner locations and they are very inexpensive.  For as little as $20 a month you can promote your product to thousands of balloonist and people interested in the world of ballooning.  Just go the store and click on Banner Advertising.  Select the placement were you would like your banner to be.  The Banner Description area will explain the size and format your banner needs to be.  The literally upload your banner and pay with a credit card and POOF you’re up and running.

MAP FILES

A HUGE thank you goes out to Rob Nutting for his contribution to our map files.  Rob uploaded 14 map files from some very popular balloon events in the Midwest.  They can be found in the Download center under the category “Launch and Land” map files.  Once again I must point out one of the fantastic features of HotAirBalloonist.com is the Download Center.  We all can share all sorts of files from historical records, How To manual’s, Guides, Forms and Documents as well as MAP FILES.  It has long been our goal to be able to provide downloadable files for flying areas all over the United States.  Many of these files can be downloaded directly into your device and used almost instantly.  If you use the Hot Air App, TwoNav or Motion X you can download directly into your tablet and use the files in seconds.  There are literally dozens of reasons to support this site and this one is one of the most compelling.  Become a member and help us create a database for all pilots everywhere!  Go on, Give it a try. There is no cost do download map files.  Just remember to thank a paid member for your ability to do so.

CLUBS

We have talked about his before but I do not believe it has sunk in.  Many of you are familiar with the Balloon Reflector.  For those who are not it is a program that allows you to send out an email and the system then rebroadcasts that email out to hundreds of followers who then can comment back about that topic.  It is a great way to stay in touch.  It does have some drawbacks.  You can’t send photos, you can’t review all the comments, (unless you save each email and go back and review one at a time) and a few other items.  The NEW HotAirBalloonist.com “CLUBS” feature does all that and MORE.  When you start a club you choose the type of club.  Your club can be a Public (Open to everyone) Private (People must request your permission to join) or a CLOSED club (Only people you invite can join and NO ONE can see the club except your members.  In each club you have the ability to create your own Forum of Topics, Gallery of images, Calendar of events, even a Download Center to share files.  It’s like having a complete website with all the features you could want. 

BEST OF ALL every module of your club has the Follow Feature.  On every item on the site has a follow button.  Click on that button and you can follow that item.  Just like the reflector you get an email when someone makes a new event or creates a new topic or any item you want to be notified about.  So imagine you have a group of pilots in your area.  You can create a club with your local pilots and crews.  Then you can share events, files, Maps and more via your club.  Post one topic about a sensitive land owner and everyone in your area gets an email!  Think how valuable that could be.  Imagine you need more crew or are heading to a balloon event and need more crew.  Post a topic in your club and all your members get an instant email.  If you are interested in this feature please give me a call.  It is very hard to explain all the benefits in a newsletter.

Going to the BIG ONE.

Those of you old schoolers will understand “The Big One”  I still have very fond memories of Sid.  It’s better known as “Fiesta” or Albuquerque.   This may sound funny but those of you who get these newsletters are some of the best.  Many of you have been given memberships to HotAirBalloonist.com because of your contributions to the sport. Your contributions are what earned you a free membership.   I have two things to ask of you.  First tell people about the site.  Talk about it while you are spending time with pilots and crews who may not be aware of HotAirBalloonist.com.  AND YOU please support the site.  If you get a membership in the store and use the Coupon code “BFA at checkout you get a HUGE 75% discount!  Think about that.  Surely you would contribute, a buck a month to this site?  A ground crew membership is even less.  Log in and purchase a membership then USE the new club feature!  Use the download center to share or download maps.  Currently members do not pay for any downloads in the Download Center.  Just a couple of free downloads and you have paid for your membership.  Sell your photos online! Learn the tricks to GoPro video on your flights and so much more. 

On a personal note.

The hurricane Irma has hurt my ride business.  Many of you know I foot the bill for HotAirBalloonist.com out of my own pocket and with my own time.  I sure could use some support right now.  Get a paid membership or make a donation of some sort.  I have spent many years giving to the sport.  I am now in a position to need some help from my friends and fellow balloonist’s.  Please do not misunderstand, I am not asking for a handout.  I honestly with all my heart believe that the benefits of a paid membership on HotAirBalloonist.com are an incredible value and way beyond the price paid.  But it sure would be nice to see some support for the site.  As a personal note I want to thank again Rob Nutting for his map file’s contribution to the site.  Sure wish I could get other balloonists to follow his lead.

Final Thoughts

If you are going to Albequreque please fly extremely safe.  Don’t take chances.  Fly when you are comfortable and please please be sharp.  Our industry NEEDS an incident free fiesta.  You are all special for what you do and remember we ALL represent each other.

FLY SAFE, Have fun.

Jeff

justletters.png

A Balloon Site built by Balloonists for

Balloonist's Become a Member Today

Jeff A Thompson.  Admin@HotAirBalloonist.com 407-421-9322

?
44 year LTA pilot, BFA member since 1977, BFA Level DA-8, Ed Yost Master Pilot. 6500 flights, 5650 Flight Hours