hotairballoonist

I have been using an IPad for my flying lately and have found it to be a real asset.  There are two programs I have found that are fantastic for use on the IPad and on the IPhone. 

Basket.jpg

The first is called simple HOT AIR.  It is a flight recorder that can be used as a log book for lack of a better explanation.  It uses the GPS capabilities of your IPad to track your flight. You turn it on and it records your altitude and flight direction and speed and flight time and distance from launch to land.  If that were not impressive enough it also allows you to write in your launch site name and landing site name and crew members  and aircraft number and many other details you don't get to log in your real log book.  I think it was free but even if its 5 bucks it worth it.

FlightLog.png

The next program I found was YOU ARE HERE.  This program allows you to upload on your device the digital version of the competition map.  (you will have to ask your event organizer for a digital copy)  Once you load the map into the program you tap on the screen to let the program know where you are then move to a different location tap the map again and after a few locations your map has been scaled to the area you are in and becomes extremely accurate.  Great for flying in areas where there are many Prohibitive Zones (or PZ's)  Helps you find yourself on the competition map in seconds.

Send me an email if you have questions about this. 

O the mounts I use on the balloon are RAM mounts.  They are made for the IPad an IPhone and work GREAT!

justletters.png

A Balloon Site built by Balloonists for

Balloonist's Become a Member Today

Jeff A Thompson.  Admin@HotAirBalloonist.com 407-421-9322

?
44 year LTA pilot, BFA member since 1977, BFA Level DA-8, Ed Yost Master Pilot. 6500 flights, 5650 Flight Hours